profound or out of the box comments on various
"In the light of what America is doing in Afghanistan and Pakistan, it rather seems as though Washington has had a change of heart: why fight a war on terror when you can simply do deals with the terrorists?"
- Vir Sanghvi, renowned Indian commentator
"The positive energy of yoga could enrich the Communist ideology to make Nepal more dynamic."
- Prachanda, former Prime Minister of Nepal and Maoist leader
"There is a language of communication and there is a language of culture. The language of culture is a window to your history, mythology, folklore, proverbs, idioms, to your creativity ... and itís the language in which we cry and laugh. There is no contradiction between the two."
- Pavan K Varma, famous Indian writer
"Poverty does not seem to stir our conscience."
- - Dr M S Swaminathan, renowned agriculture scientist
"Globalisation has brought together the rich and the crooked from all over the world."
- Devinder Sharma, public policy analyst and commentator
"The exploitation is visible in cases where farmers had received microfinance from NGOs, and they are exploiting the farmers."
- Dr Damodar Rout, Agriculture Minister of Orissa
"There are many allegations against the microfinancing institutions including high interest rates that ensnare the borrowers in perpetual debt."
- AMA Muhith, Bangladesh Finance Minister
"Monsanto is a bad name. I am sorry to say that. This is one of the companies that are facing maximum number of cases even in America. If we succeed, our approach will not be like Monsanto, because they want to earn money. They are not here for charity. If they are investing in research, they will try to earn money.
- Sharad Pawar, Indian Agriculture Minister
"In Dantewada, the police wear plain clothes and the rebels wear uniforms. The jail superintendent is in jail. The prisoners are free (after being escaped from the jail). Women who have been raped are in police custody. The rapists give speeches in the bazaar.
- Arundhati Roy, writer and activist, on Maoism affected tribal regions
"Social development has not become an instrument in triggering economic development in Kerala."
- Joseph Tharamangalam, Economist
"No country can sub-contract its development. Development comes about when you develop the capacity to manage your own resources. "
- Gilbert Fossoun Houngbo, Togo's Prime Minister
"The economic growth rate has no role in the life of those who live below poverty line.
- Swami Ramdev, Yoga Guru
"We canít afford the luxury of having teacher-student ration of 1:20. But by learning to use scarce resources effectively we can change this.
- Sam Pitroda, Chairman, Knowledge Commission of India
"Iíd like to think that as our time has gone by and as Americans have found themselves in 2010, ignorance is being replaced by a certain amount of enlightenment and racism is going to be replaced eventually by an acceptance. Itís just taking an awfully long time."
- Tom Hanks, Hollywood Actor on Racism in USA
"Now they (Maoists) can bring many sectors of Indian economy to their knees. But they don't want to do it today. They know that if they do that now, the state will come very hard. They are not fully prepared to face the onslaught of the state machinery. So, they would rather go very slowly."
- G K Pillai, Home Secretary, Government of India
"We've gotten to the point where food products have more rights than we do as individuals. Corporations are getting too much power. Their only interest is profit. That profit is leading our society to a bad place. The similarities to what happened in the financial meltdown are all too frighteningly similar. "
- Robert Kenner on the American food industry. Kenner is the director of Oscar-nominated Food Inc.
"After all, it is the public who has to consume it, not the government. The risks and benefits should be carefully evaluated."
- Agriculture scientist and Rajya Sabha member M.S. Swaminathan on Bt Brinjal
"For those promoting GM food, science is God and scientists the priests that negotiate with God on behalf of mankind."
- Claude Alvares, renowned Development Philosophy Critic and writer
"Nearly 1000 U.S. soldiers have died (in Afghanistan). And for what? Hundreds of billions spent. And for what? To make Afghanistan safe for crooks, drug dealers and crony capitalism? "
- Dennis Kucinich, US Congressman (D-OH)
"Swapping genes between organisms can produce unknown toxic effects and allergies that are most likely to affect children."
- Vyvyan Howard, expert in infant toxico-pathology at Liverpool University Hospital, United Kingdom.
"In Bollywood, people rise only when they're in trouble. ShahRukh stood up for himself. Why didn't the body of film producers that he is part of, stand up for him too? "
- Sudhir Mishra, Indian Film Director