"It needs no emphasis that if a man is deprived of his livelihood, he is deprived of all his fundamental and constitutional rights and for him the goal of social and economic justice, equality of status and opportunity, remain illusory."
- Supreme Court of India reinstating a worker whose services were terminated illegally by his employer.
"In the Middle East, we must generate new momentum in the search for a comprehensive, just and lasting peace. One year after the Gaza conflict, a fundamentally different approach is required to address the major humanitarian and reconstruction challenges still facing its people.
- Ban Ki Moon, UN General Secretary on Middle East Crisis
"If violence doesn’t stop you from investing in Maoist-hit states, then why not invest in Jammu & Kashmir?
- Omar Abdullah, Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister to industrialists
"For the last 25 years China has been grabbing land in Ladakh. One can’t be absolved by just saying that the LAC has not been demarcated.
- Farooq Abdullah, Renewable Energy Minister of India who represents Jammu and Kashmir in Parliament
"If members of the judiciary themselves go astray, incompetent people are functioning as judges, if judges themselves are dishonest and become outright corrupt, that not only spells dooms to the judicial system, but also for the entire country and its governance."
- D.V. Shailendra Kumar, Karnataka High Court Judge on corruption in Indian judiciary
"There are a few animals in the country which need to be saved. But there is no such problem with humans."
- Jairam Ramesh, India's Forest and Environment Minister
"“How can you demolish the night shelter without having regard to people living there? Under the law (MCD Act), it is your obligation to provide night shelters to homeless people in the capital."
- Delhi High Court on Delhi Administration’s arbitrary action of razing the temporary shelters for poor
"The Kyoto Protocol addresses about 30% of global carbon emissions. In contrast, the framework accord hammered out in Copenhagen may encompass the majority of world emissions. "
- Pascal Lamy, WTO director-general
"Why do we need the help of the World Bank, which has ripped apart our natural resources by supporting projects for dams and mining at the cost of conservation?
- P. K. Sen, conservationist and former director of Project Tiger